Where to Get Help
Tuesday, October 7, 2008; HE05
· National Institute on Drug Abuse provides fact sheets on addiction and treatment, offers physician and treatment locators, and includes public policy and legislative news.
· Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration offers extensive medical and legislative information on addiction and treatment services.
· Join Together is a nonprofit group providing drug addiction treatment and research information. Sign up for e-mail alerts regarding clinical trials and legislative news.
· American Society of Addiction Medicine provides information on addiction for physicians and the public as well as online search tools for finding an addiction specialist provider.
· American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry. International professional membership organization of psychiatrists provides online search tools for finding an addiction specialist provider.
· National Council on Alcohol and Drug Dependence, Maryland Chapter raises awareness about alcoholism and drug dependence in Maryland and offers resources for families searching for addiction treatment and research.
· Treatment Research Institute is a nonprofit organization assembling a comprehensive guide for families on addiction treatment and resources, focusing on evidence-based program information.
· Heroin Action Coalition Nonprofit is an outreach program for families and friends dealing with heroin addiction and other substance-use disorders. Twenty-four-hour phone hotline and links to treatment center information.
· Mike Gimbel Associates, a national substance abuse education and consultant service based in Towson, recently started TRIAGE, a treatment, referral, information and guidance education service that helps families learn to move through the addiction treatment system faster.
-- Jacqueline M. Duda